Sunday 24 May 2015

Rudder rest and day sailing

I've been making do without a rudder rest for a couple of seasons since the old one finally broke for the last time.  Due to other recent woodworking successes, it seemed churlish not to have a go at making one.  I used Tim Pettigrew's excellent website for inspiration although the dimensions, particularly in terms of length were changed slightly.  My version is ever so slightly shorter in both overall length and the length of the slot.  I also made use of a cheap supply of stainless steel fixing plates (ebay, all the way from Hong Kong!) to reinforce the top.
Rudder rest in situ

As can be seen from this picture, mine is slotted in in the opposite way to Tim's - ie. with open bit facing to the stern.  If I had tried it the other way round, it simply wouldn't have fitted - and it would seem odd trying to slot it in that way round.  It seems to work this way round, although the front end does rest on the upper bearing so the whole thing doesn't quite rest in the rudder casing.
Given that I simply used old spruce off-cuts from my store in the garage, the whole thing cost no more than £6.50.

All of that excitement aside, I have been for a couple of day sails during the past three weeks - the weekend in between was choral society weekend.
Coaster Pamela coming out to play on the 10th May - sadly, I was on the way back to shore!
On the 10th May, I came down just to spend a few hours fiddling - fitting the rudder rest.  I went for a brief sail, but conditions were of the gusty kind I don't much like.  Yesterday, 23 May, the purpose of the visit was to prepare the boat for a cruising beginning today.  It was such good weather, I had to go for a sail. I was also looking out for Cape Cutters who are beginning their annual meet based at Suffolk Yacht Harbour.  I saw a couple and took some good snaps!  They are truly splendid boats and I would be tempted to buy were they not so damned heavy - you really need a good 4x4 and a two people to launch and recover with ease.
Cape Cutter Sapphire

Cape Cutter Fraoch

Cape Cutter Fraoch
10th May (yellow) 2.2nm; 23rd May (red) 7.8nm



No comments:

Post a Comment