|Easter project: yet to be varnished replacement mast crutch|
|Improvised splint supporting previously broken mast crutch|
On the return from the Easter cruise, whilst driving through Braintree, I noticed the irregularity of the mast flailing around as I negotiated another mini-roundabout. I pulled over, assessed the problem and then improvised for the remainder of the trip. If nothing else, the experience offers a good reason for keeping several items, particularly lengths of rope, aboard - not for everyday usage, but always there should the need arise. The supporting structure involved sandwiching the broken section between two pieces of timber, and repeatedly wrapping the whole in two lengths of rope.
Hence, this brought on an Easter project: fashioning a replacement. The only purchase was a piece of timber from B&Q: 21x67x2400 for £6. The remaining costs were varnish - in this case, existing stocks of epoxy resin used as a coating - and time. I recycled the top 'cradle' end of the previous crutch along with five brass screws.
The first job was to cut off two lengths, roughly 37cm and glue them to either side of the remaining piece. I used Gorilla Glue which is excellent for bonding wood. Once dry, I used a power file to shape the base of the new structure.
|New base fashioned using the sadly neglected previous base as a template.|
|Between coats of epoxy|