Saturday 2 May 2015

Strengthening breeze...

Saturday, 3rd May.  Easterly winds, F4 gusting 5.  The forecast suggested that winds would strengthen during the day and this is, indeed, what happened. There wasn't a huge quantity of active boats on the water and those that did venture out were well reefed.  
I set out cautiously with double reefed main, reefed jib and furled mizzen.  This set up seems to work well for me whereas most Drascombers seem to prefer jib with mizzen.  
Reaching the boat at HW, I tacked downstream with the ebb, anchoring off Trimley Marshes for a late lunch.  Then, with same sails set, back upstream against the tide but with the wind.  Turning at Freston, beating back into the breeze started to get a little hairy.  Just as I was congratulating myself on not using the engine, the biggest gust bore down and the outboard chugged into life opposite Woolverstone for the final mile back to base.

12.1nm

No comments:

Post a Comment