When I purchased her, she was known as Aquarius and I took the potentially perilous decision to rename her (grabs large plank of wood). The previous owners left a legacy website detailing her previous history as well as the modifications they made. In a recent email to a fellow Drascombe enthusiast, I listed some of the things that I have done myself. As time goes by, I hope to add to this list.
I invested in a new optima yellow top battery at the start of 2009, dispensing with a much heavier, older marine battery. I went for one which was around 40ah which has served me well for the last 2 seasons and hopefully will last for several seasons more. I chose the yellow top since this seemed best suited to what I need - a deep cycle low discharge sort of thing that would cope with being left on the mooring all season. This season I invested in a solar battery charger. This is ideal for leaving the boat on the mooring - just plugs into a 12V socket. I have no idea how effective it is since I have no meter to judge what is going on. That is for another season!! I never bothered with the business of connecting up the battery to the outboard for charging, partly because I don't have the time to find out how to, partly because when I changed the battery I moved the battery and all the electrics out of the rear lazarette into the cabin and so further away from the outboard, and partly because I don't really use the outboard sufficiently often to be able to rely on this as a method of recharging. These batteries are much more expensive than conventional ones. Whether it is worth the outlay is open to debate. It suits me though.