Sunday 29 October 2017

October half term mini-cruise


Back to Harwich
October half term wouldn't be worth it unless some sailing were involved.  Not that I have always managed it, but this year the stars were in alignment and I was able to pop down to the Orwell for a brief 'overnighter'.
Full track for both days, 31.2nm

Between other commitments and howling gales, the weather cleared and I launched at Woolverstone for what has turned out to be the final coastal sail of the season.  There may be opportunities for a day trip to somewhere like Rutland Water later next month.  We shall have to see!  However, the engine is now at Seamark Nunn for winter storage and servicing - expensive but worth it if, like me, one has little understanding of the workings of the infernal (sic.) combustion engine...
Once again, launched at Woolverstone Marina.  It doesn't get any cheaper but it is a convenient place from which to set off - plenty of room for onshore parking and a half decent slip, although I do wish they'd do something about the green algae which makes it treacherous under foot.
Winds were benign on the day of launching (26th October) and, given fading light, the best I could do was to motor downstream with the tide, and cross over to the Walton Backwaters where I anchored in a creek intriguingly known as The Dardanelles.  In all the time I've been doing this trip, this was the first time I have anchored here and it was well worth it - although I didn't get to see much of it in the lengthening hours of darkness at this time of the year!

October 26th, trip from Woolverstone to Walton Backwaters, 10.2nm
Fortunately, winds picked up overnight, so the next day, I breakfasted off Stone Point, before sailing out of the Walton Channel and over to Halfpenny Pier in Old Harwich.
Halfpenny Pier.  It's never accessible during the summer, and it is so good to have it all to one's self during the off-season.

Walton Channel to Halfpenny Pier - 6.9nm
I had the option of spending another night aboard, but the forecast was for strengthening winds - Inshore Waters projection for the next 24 hours to be F5-7 with occasional gale F8.  That put me off, so I resolved, after elevenses, to enjoy the remainder of the sail taking in a bit of The Stour, and then returning up the Orwell for a late lunch in the lea of Deer Park on the north side of the river.
Drilling jack, Paragon B391 at Harwich docks

Felixstowe was its usual, busy self.
 After food, it was a simple case of returning to base, recovering the boat and returning home.
Afternoon track - return to Woolverstone, 14.2nm


No comments:

Post a Comment