Monday 21 April 2014

Easter Monday sail

Today's sail was all about being on the water, going nowhere in particular but enjoying not being at work...  I stuck with the Orwell, leaving the mooring at around 11am in a rather inelegant manner, promptly sailing aground and needing an emergency blast from the engine.  It was an hour into the new flood and, once free from the clutches of the muddy shore, I set about sailing against the tide downstream.  It took a while for the wind to get going but, once beyond the unfortunately named 'Foxes Bottom', the forecast NE F4 set in which enabled much more effective leeway.  I worked my way up Long Reach to a handy lunchtime anchorage on the NE shore of the bend in the river in the lee of Sleighton Hill.

After lunch, the reward for all of that beating against the tide was a glorious beam/broad reach back upstream with the continuing flood, reaching a top speed of 7knts and regularly in excess of 6knts.
Sailing past Royal Harwich YC, I took some footage of coaster Valentine on her new mooring.
Valentine shared in a part of last summer's Blackwater cruise.  Her new owner is now trying the Orwell as a sailing base, quite possibly following my recommendation!  Either way, Valentine is Daisy II's twin sister, seeing as she is Coaster No281 - the very next model after Daisy II and sharing the same unusual round porthole windows, so there is something almost predestined about this renewing of their acquaintance.

Sailing up through the Orwell Bridge, some quite hefty gusts started coming over.  I already had a reef tied in the main in anticipation of this.  Turning at the entrance to Fox's marina, I dispensed with mizzen and put a few rolls in the jib for the return trip.  Even so, I was regularly in excess of 5knts against the continuing flood and the gusts caused a fair amount of heel.

Cruising downstream along Downham Reach, I happened upon a motorboat in 'non-functioning engine' distress, which prompted me to drop sail, start up the engine and offer my towing services.  Fortunately, the engine problem resolved itself before towing commenced.  Having already dropped sail, I resolved upon motoring back to the mooring.

15nm; top speed 7.0knts


No comments:

Post a Comment