Monday 6 May 2013

Bank Holiday Cruise, 4-6 May

4th May (red track)
Mindful of the poor but improving weather on Saturday, I waited until later in the day before heading down to the boat, sailing down the Orwell to the turn and then motor sailing to the Walton Backwaters, arriving well after sunset.
Sunset, approaching Walton Backwaters


 5th May (white track)
Today, the plan was to sail up to the Ore and on to the Butley River.  I arose early (4.30am) and was greeted by a lovely sunrise at 5.30am to match the previous day's sunset.




 There being little wind, I motor-sailed all the way up the coast (noisy but effective).  On the way, a container ship wanted to play as it approached Harwich.
Sailing with the big boys: a container ship, with attendant tug, approaching Harwich
We were heading further north east today.  Beyond the treacherous Deben entrance, the approach to the Ore is equally hazardous, since shifting sands keep altering the recommended navigational track.  The previous time I attempted this, three years ago, the entrance was from the far south west, hugging the 'Shingle Street' shore.  This time, the recommended track is from the south east http://eastcoastpilot.com/Ore_March_2013.pdf.  Things were very calm today and I entered the Ore at around 9.30am, an hour or so before high water.

View of the Ore entrance from the south. 
Approaching the red Oxley buoy prior to turning north east into the entrance
 Once in the Ore, I was able to switch off the confounded motor, and the still fast flowing flood tide whisked me upstream in F2 winds at speeds of up to 8 knots!!


At Havergate Island, I turned left and, after a small bend, the mouth of the River Butley comes into view.  The previous time I sailed this area, the Butley was the one river I didn't manage time to see. More's the pity since it is the best of the lot!


This trip was about making amends and the rewards were rich: sailing in a gentle F2, I found the Butley to be quiet, and totally unspoilt.  Various fishermen, the odd yachtsman and a few hikers were the only things between Daisy II and the majestic scenery and wildlife.
River Butley: potential landing - a disused quay

River Butley - as far as I dared go.  The tide had already turned by this point, and I needed to motor back downstream to avoid going aground for several hours!
Back out of the Butley, I anchored off 'Abraham's Bosom' which was one of my night anchorages a few years back.  Here, I made lunch (at 11.30am - breakfast was at 4.30!!) and caught up on a bit of web-browsing, taking in the wonderful view of Orford Castle.
Orford, and its castle, from Havergate Island
 After lunch, I circumnavigated Havergate Island....
Havergate Island - an RSPB nature reserve.  It seems such a pity that no landing is permitted here.

....prior to beating down the Ore with the ebb and then departing this charming area to which I shall return in later July/early August.
Butley track, detail


 returning by sail to Harwich.  I used the motor to clear the tricky tidal outfalls at the mouth of the Ore but, otherwise, sailed with all sails up, the whole way.

Back in Harwich harbour, a gin palace was leaving...
Gin palace departure: I'd like to explore one of these for a couple of hours and, maybe, go to sea with few other passengers around.  But the prospect of going on a cruise on one of these things, with their shopping arcades, restaurants and leisure facilities, is not enticing.  However, they do look quite magnificent from outside.
...but I was bound for the Stour for the night, finding a remote, drying anchorage near the south shore, midway between Wrabness and Mistley.

6th May (yellow track)
Waking at 6.30am almost felt like a lie-in after yesterday.  Not a breath of wind initially so, with the engine on tick-over, I made my way round Mistley, following the marker buoys showing the correct Navigational route around to Manningtree where I stopped for morning coffee.  I then sailed, in light winds at first, back up the Stour, initially against the dying flood and then with the ebb.  There was just a breath of a north easterly at first but this turned to a much more promising F3 south easterly by the time I reached Wrabness.

I made my way up to Harwich, rounding Shotley point at around 2pm and, with lunch eaten 'on the hoof', continued up the Orwell against the ebb to the mooring by 4pm.
Red track 4th May, White track 5th May, Yellow track: 6th May.  75.1 nm; season's total: 82.9nm.

No comments:

Post a Comment