Wednesday 31 August 2011

Short cruise to the River Deben, August 29-31

44.7nm; Season's total: 509nm
Following my 'how not to cruise' trip earlier this month, I thought I would go back to the Deben and try and do it properly.  I mostly managed this, except when leaving the Deben two days later, where I delayed my departure until the flood had already begun, and had to battle against a strong running tide.

On the afternoon of the 29th, I took the ebb out of the Orwell, and up towards the Deben entrance, catching the early flood and picking up a handy free mooring off Ramsholt ( red track).
The next day, winds were gentle north westerly F2/3, so I had a pleasant trip (white track) with the tide, picking my way through the various clusters of moorings, to Woodbridge where I found another mooring and headed off for a walk around town. I then motored to the upper navigational limit of the river (Wilford Bridge), and took in Martlesham Creek, before setting sail for a run with the ebb back to Ramsholt (green track), picking up another mooring.
On the last day, I left taking the last of the ebb to Felixstowe Ferry, calling in at the toilets there.  Unfortunately, he tide had already turned by the time I motored out of the Deben entrance - water was already running at a good 2 knots against me - needed the outboard at full throttle to negotiate the various tidal runs which characterise this short, treacherous stretch of water.  Finally, having managed this, I had a pleasant trip sailing whenever a breath of wind showed up, otherwise motoring back to Pin Mill (yellow track).

3 comments:

  1. Today on the River Deben at Bawdsey
    http://suffolk.activeboard.com/t43990941/yachting-sailing/?page=last#lastPostAnchor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today on the Deben at Bawdsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the photos John. What a great way of using technology! I shall certainly include these in my blog entry for this cruise on my return.

      Delete