Friday 29 October 2010

October 28th, a trip to Halfpenny Pier

11.0 nm
Having spent most of the year calling in at the place, and being denied by other boats which beat me to it, I finally managed a short berth at Halfpenny Pier, Old Harwich,  A trip accompanied by mum, we stopped off at the pier cafe for lunch and a ramble around old Harwich, before sailing back to base.  F3 gusting 4/5 south westerly winds. 



Things are becoming rather damp aboard.  Sadly it may be coming towards that time when I might have to call time on a wonderful season. 

11.0 nm today, which brings the total to 432.1nm.

3 comments:

  1. I notice that your Coaster has round 'portholes' rather than the rectangular windows I've seen on other Coasters. Do you know how your Coaster came to have 'portholes' - was it built that way?

    I'm interested in buying a coaster and think the 'portholes' look much more attractive than the other variety so I'm curious!

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi "anon"

    There were a few wooden Longboat Cruisers which had round porthole windows - look on the wooden drascombe website (link from my blog). So, I can only presume that the original owner knew of these, and specified these windows from the builder - which was the older incarnation of Honnor marine (1997). They certainly weren't retro-fitted.

    I know of at least two other fibreglass Coasters with this style. One was at last year's Broads rally - you might find pictures on the Drascombe site. Another has three portholes on either side - I think this boat is based on the south coast - solent area - and also pops up at various Drascombe rallies.

    I understand that there is at least one other recent build with these windows, built on the back of seeing either my boat, or one of the others.

    I agree. I much prefer these to the usual type, although it wasn't a consideration for me when I bought the boat from its previous owners. I was just glad to find a Coaster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for that information.

    It looks like I'll be hard pressed to find a second-hand Coaster with portholes. But DaisyII does look super!

    ReplyDelete