Friday 26 July 2013

July 26, new anchor!

This has been a while in the planning. I've wanted to buy a second anchor for safety purposes and, having found my existing Danforth anchor a little difficult to set on occasions, decided to buy a new main anchor, and use the existing one as a kedge. Rocna anchors have performed best in PBO tests recently, so I've purchased a 6kg Rocna with 10m of 6mm chain and 25m of 10mm warp. It wasn't cheap, but I found a good deal at Seamark Nunn chandlery and they were very helpful in splicing the warp to the chain for me. It isn't the easiest of anchors to stow, but I shall have fun finding a way! Today, I anchored, as often is the case, opposite Freston. The Rocna was easy to set, held firm and even easier to gather back in. Fortunately, I shall have plenty of time to experiment further on my forthcoming cruise, starting on Sunday.

As well as the new anchor, today was about setting up the boat ready for my east coast cruise, beginning on Sunday and lasting the following week. I had to lower the mast to reconnect a 'bung washer' at the top of the jib roller reefing spar - this had a habit of coming loose. Various heavy items have been stowed, ready for use, such as the inflatable kayak. Others have been taken away for maintenance, such as the battery for charging. I've also restocked the ship's larder with plenty of hardy victuals, including copious quantities of beer and wine...
6.7nm; season's total 262.2nm

2 comments:

  1. Have fun! Look forward to reading your log & seeing pictures of your adventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derek. The forecast looks to be suggesting more traditional English summer conditions.

      Delete