Sunday 27 May 2012

Return to Pin Mill

8.4nm; 101.3nm in total
Ton up!  This time last year, I'd been nearer to 150nm, but, it is still good to make it this far.

I relaunched Daisy II at Pin Mill, HW on Saturday 26th May.  This was not without its drama: a strong onshore breeze, blocked slipway (due to repair work to the PMSC jetty), and a 'low' high tide all conspired to make the launch as difficult as possible.  However, just on the cusp of HW, I managed to find sufficient water to float the boat and then use the outboard to reverse from the nest of the rear rollers on the trailer, and return to the mooring following last week's adventure at Rutland.
Having previously damaged the trailer at Pin Mill, this time I took no chances and immediately towed the trailer back to St Ives, planning to return on Sunday 27th for a sail.
On Sunday, winds were more moderate, F3 easterly and the weather was simply glorious!  I took the tide up to Ipswich docks, stopping for a bite to eat at my usual anchorage on the shore opposite Freston.  At Ipswich, traffic was heavy and I met a number of boats waiting for a large ferry to leave the docks; so I decided to turn around and, for the first time, sailed back through one of the minor arches of the Orwell Bridge.  The wind is always very flukey through here, but Daisy II  coped admirably, and the ferry was dutifully avoided.  I then had a wonderful beat back up to the mooring, returning just past HW and sailing all the way!

Daisy II has a small leak, possibly from the keel bolt just in front on the centreplate.  I have removed half a bucket of water so far - possibly built up since the start of the Rutland event.  I'll monitor this but am hopeful that, as the hull swells after a few days on the mooring, the gap will narrow.  I have had similar problems for each the past three seasons.
'Tis good to be back 'home'!  All being well, Daisy II will remain on her mooring until the Broads rally in September.  I'm attending the Walton rally in July, and then, weather permitting, am planning a cruise up the coast in late July/early August, perhaps as far as Southwold, but certainly as far as Snape, where my wife is due to play in a concert.  If we make it as far as Southwold, it will be to research the marshes beyond the harbour.  I've launched there many times, but always to go out to sea, never to venture the other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment